This page documents the earthquakes of magnitude 8.0 or above that have occurred in Real Life and Hypothetically.
Pre - 1800
- 1626 Italy earthquake - A magnitude 8.2 earthquake that hit in the Ionian Sea off the coast of Sicily, causing a tsunami 4 metres high in the process.
- 1629 Tohoku earthquake - a magnitude 8.5 megathrust that hit off the coast, causing a tsunami that killed thousands of people.
- 1699 Southern California earthquake - A magnitude 8.0 earthquake that struck the San Andreas Fault near San Diego and Los Angeles, causing extensive damage.
- 1727 Alaska earthquake - A magnitude 9.0 megathrust earthquake hit, causing a 12 metre tsunami to travel across much of the Pacific in the process.
- 1759 Valdivia earthquake - A magnitude 8.9 megathrust earthquake hit offshore Chile, causing a 15 metre tsunami to travel across the Pacific, wiping out thousands of people in the process.
- 1787 Jalisco earthquake - A magnitude 8.4 earthquake hit off the Pacific coast of Mexico, causing a 7 metre tsunami to hit much of the Pacific, killing thousands of people in the process.
1800 - 1899
- 1800 New Madrid earthquake - A magnitude 8.2 earthquake hit, causing devastating damages across 5 states in the process.
- 1819 Indonesian earthquake - A magnitude 8.8 megathrust earthquake hit offshore,causing a 9 metre tsunami to travel across much of the Indian Ocean in the process.
- 1847 Fiji earthquake - A magnitude 8.0 earthquake hit the islands, causing a local tsunami in the process.
- 1847 Papa New Guinea earthquake - A magnitude 8.3 earthquake hit, causing a 3 metre tsunami to hit local islands in the process.
- 1859 New Mexico earthquake - A magnitude 8.0 earthquake hit, severely damaging or destroying most buildings within a 700 mile radius of the event.